The Hotlist: December 2017 - Wines you NEED to be drinking this month
Oh the weather outside is frightful, but these wines are so delightful!
Could not help ourselves with that one, we apologize.
December is here! That means places get lit up with lights and decorations and we spend way too much time outside at Christmas markets than anybody should reasonably do in this kind of weather. Yes its cold AF but do we care? Hell no! Lets get the wine flowing and keep ourselves warm with the wines we need to be drinking in December.
No, not crazy. Mulled wine is totally awesome and perfect for this time of year. The added flavors from lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves and all that other shit makes it really feel like the holidays. There are tons of recipes out there but what if you really want to quick tips to making a damn good mulled wine I guess we can help.
- Pick a cheap bottle of wine. No use in screwing around with the good stuff as you lose all the nuances of your wine to the added ingredients.
- On that note, go with a full bodied wine like a Malbec or a Syrah. Cabernet Sauvignon can be pretty good as well especially if its a good berry powered wine.
- Add a splash of brandy. Then add a little more brandy. Mmmm, maybe just a little more brandy. This will give you the kick you wanted and that beautiful warm adult beverage is going to hit you right in your core. Don't overdo it though, you're not your uncle!
Full bodied, big as hell, powerful red wines
Where to begin with these bad boys? You could go for every bro's idea of a manly red wine (your California Cabernet Sauvignon) but why stop there? Full bodied red wines are going to hit home in December. There is nothing better than sitting in front of a fire, with a great big sweater on, surrounded by friends or that special someone, and sipping on a rich, decadent, mouth filling, velvet like, orgasmic red wine. Your eyes just rolled into the back of your head and you got a little bit aroused didn't you? See what we mean? Seriously, go big this winter and enjoy those lush wines like you do everything else. Here are a few we think are perfect for this time of year.
- Cabernet Sauvignon - Hearty, rich, and full of awesome flavors. Its a go to, a standard for full blooded and full bodied red wine lovers.
- Syrah - Full bodied and sexy, these meaty wines that will have you lusting for more wth each and every sip.
- Douro - Our choice for sitting in front of the fireplace and snuggling up with someone.
- Mourvedre - Mourvedre is like an aging rocker still going hard with an awesome "Last Ever Tour." You know there is going to be more, but you still want to go and bang your head and feel heavy again.
- Bordeaux wines - We kind of saved the best for last. There is a reason why Bordeaux wines are so coveted and fawned over, their masterful blending of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot really goes straight to your soul. You feel as enriched as you do feel warm. Bordeaux wines can be validating as much as they can be celebratory and at the end of the year as you look back on what was this is a good wine for looking inward and taking stock.
Really rich, oaked white wines
Oaked Chardonnay is best enjoyed in the winter in our opinion. Oaked Chardonnays, Viogniers, Grenache Blancs et al tend to pick up some awesome nutty, buttery, and sometimes even toasty flavors. You can go on and on about how much you hate oaked Chardonnay in the summer, but in the winter these savory wines go down like a dream.
Traditional sparkling wines, by which we mean Champagne. Lots and lots of Champagne
Just giving you a heads up, there is going to be a lot of partying this month so you best be ready. There is going to be Champagne everywhere! Who are we to complain?